Sunday, June 1, 2008

TALKING THE TALK 2

Following the responses to my last post, I have decided to mention a couple more strange expressions we have heard since coming to Sri Lanka. The first is the liberal use of the term 'famous'. Anyone who is well-known for any reason will be called famous. She is famous because she called the police when a neighbour's house was robbed. He is famous in this area for his carpentry. This man is famous for selling eggs where he lives. Darren is determined that he will one day be famous too.

The other unusual twist of the English language comes with the use of the word paining. Where we might say something hurts (for example, my back hurts), Sri Lankans tend to say it is paining (my back is paining). A dear friend of ours caused us great merriment when he told us, "My leg meat is paining". Translation? "The muscles in my leg are sore"!

No comments: