Thursday, January 7, 2010

THE NEW YEAR STARTS WITH A BANG

Midnight, December 31st 2009/January 1st 2010: I was awoken from my slumber by a great noise. Was it the rumbling of a tropical thunderstorm? Could I hear waves crashing on the seashore? Were the ancient Romans invading Negombo with their chariots and multitudes of legions of soldiers? No, this was the arrival of the New Year in Sri Lanka.

Across the land, thousands and thousands of firecrackers were being let off in unison. The sound was amazing, like the sky had become one big, fizzy drink; it was like listening to a gigantic bowl of Rice Bubbles. While the war had been on, we had heard the sound of gunfire over Colombo but that had nothing on the sound of the New Year. From my bedroom windows I was able to enjoy several light shows, the best coming from the yard of a nearby neighbour.

It was quite some time before I slipped back into bed and returned to my sleep. It wasn't a restful night though, as I was woken several more times during the night by outbursts of firecrackers. The firecracker frivolity continued through the night and on throughout the following day. We were to hear later that over 2000 people went into Sri Lankan hospitals over the New Year period with cracker-related injuries. I can understand why Australia has made private firecrackers illegal.

To all our readers out there, we wish you a cracker of a New Year. May it be a year of love, hope and promise.

No comments: