Tuesday, October 13, 2009

GIVING MY TWENTY CENTS WORTH

Recently we visited a lady who sews pillowcases for a living. After some number-crunching we deducted that she can work all day for an average profit of about 20 cents a day. What's more, while I found this astounding, she did not seem to think it was any great deal. She was happy for her income. My mind began to turn to contemplate the ways that I devour her day's income in the blink of an eye. Leaving the light on unnecessarily - a day's work. Those extra biscuits I just don't need - a day's work. Even a mouthful of my dinner - a day's work.

Puts things in a bit of a different perspective really. For one, it gives a new sense of appreciation for all the good things in life. It also gives a great incentive not to be greedy or wasteful. It is also a reminder to never underestimate the power of sharing - even the little things. Interesting what can happen when you start to see your life in twenty cent pieces.

No comments: