Sunday, January 20, 2008

THE LITTLE THINGS



This story is from the first evening in our house. I was in the pantry (which is the everyday kitchen) and Darren was in the dining room when there was the loudest bird call. We both met up in the display kitchen.

"What was that?"

"I don't know. I thought it came from out where you were."

"I thought it came from in here."

"Oh well, we'll figure it out."

And, by chance, we did - the next afternoon. It was the doorbell! Now I am learning the difference between my doorbell and a bird. If the noise flies off in the distance, it is a bird. If it sounds like a bird screaming through a megaphone it is my doorbell. Still, it pays to check the front door anyway. Goodness knows how many people (or birds) we have left standing on the doorstep. (Oh, by the way, if it sounds like a doorbell, it is the telephone!).

Also of note, I am now the proud owner of a clothes rack. This momentous occurrence means that I no longer have to hang the washing down the bannisters to dry, as long as I only do one load. If however, I need to do more than one load or if sheets are involved, it is back to using the bannisters. Darren quips that washing day makes for great cubby houses on the stairs.

Other good news is that we now also have a kettle. As there is no hot water downstairs (again, apparently this is quite normal) I am now able to make my own to wash the dishes. No more washing dishes in cold water, thank goodness!

No comments: